Financial Controller role
The Financial Controller will contribute to the overall success and profitability of the business, not just financial results. It is the FC’s responsibility to implement and maintain financial controls and apply their strong analytical skills to solve problems and continuously improve processes.
Typical responsibilities of a Financial Controller
- Responsible for the day-to-day financial management of the company, (invoicing, payment collection, invoice payment, payroll and posting and reconciliation of receipts on company bank accounts).
- Deliver accurate and timely reports such as weekly profitability, monthly performance & VAT reports and quarterly Management Accounts (budgets, P&L, balance sheets & cashflow).
- Provide the MD / senior team with absolute clarity as to the financial status of the company and insightful analysis and recommendations to inform their decision making.
- Manage and develop a small finance team (eg an HR & Payroll Administrator), checking accuracy and improving their skillset and understanding of both the financial and operational aspects of the company.
- Analyse costs and reporting variances and make suggestions as to how these costs can be minimized to improve profitability.
- Liaise regularly with external accountants & auditors and ensure accuracy of statutory accounts.
Many of these could also be the responsibility of a Finance Manager.
Profile of a successful candidate
- Qualified Accountant (ACA/ACCA/CIMA).
- Proactive ‘can do’ attitude and the ability to work on your own initiative – someone willing to do what is required to get the job done and contribute value to the company.
- Embrace and enjoy change. Adapt and be flexible, managing changing priorities on a day to day basis.
- Excellent interpersonal skills across all staff levels, a genuine interest and desire to be involved with the entire team, the ability to persuade, influence and motivate colleagues.
- Advanced Excel skills, experience of using accounting software packages (eg Sage, Xero, QuickBooks).
- Good attention to detail.