FINANCIAL CONTROLLER ROLE – OVERVIEW
- The Financial Controller will contribute to the overall success and profitability of the business, not just financial results.
- Implement and maintain financial controls and apply your strong analytic skills to solve problems and continuously improve processes.
- Responsible for the day-to-day financial management of the company, (invoicing, payment collection, invoice payment, payroll and posting and reconciliation of receipts on company bank accounts).
- Deliver accurate and timely reports such as weekly profitability, monthly performance & VAT reports and quarterly Management Accounts (budgets, P&L, balance sheets & cashflow).
- Provide the MD / senior team with absolute clarity as to the financial status of the company and insightful analysis and recommendations to inform their decision making.
- Manage and develop a small finance team (eg an HR & Payroll Administrator), checking accuracy and improving their skillset and understanding of both the financial and operational aspects of the company.
- Analyse costs and reporting variances and make suggestions as to how these costs can be minimized to improve profitability.
- Liaise regularly with external accountants & auditors and ensure accuracy of statutory accounts.
Many of these could also be the responsibility of a FINANCE MANAGER.
PROFILE OF A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
- Qualified Accountant (ACA/ACCA/CIMA).
- Proactive ‘can do’ attitude and the ability to work on your own initiative – someone willing to do what is required to get the job done and contribute value to the company.
- Embrace and enjoy change. Adapt and be flexible, managing changing priorities on a day to day basis.
- Excellent interpersonal skills across all staff levels, a genuine interest and desire to be involved with the entire team, the ability to persuade, influence and motivate colleagues.
- Advanced Excel skills, experience of using accounting software packages (eg Sage, Xero, QuickBooks).
- Good, accurate attention to detail.