We’ve come a long way since Artemis Clarke was born back in December 2014.
Back then, our chartered accountant founder Kate Clarke had little more than her first-class accounting qualification, a passion for helping people and a vision that she could create the most respected financial recruitment agency in the UK and beyond.
What started as a niche financial recruitment agency in the South West has evolved into a financial resourcing consultancy specifically aimed at fast growing SMEs wherever they are located. One of the great advantages of the global crisis of 2020 was that we quickly adapted our business model and now operate completely online with all staff working flexibly and remotely. As a result, our ability to service a wider geographical area has increased dramatically as has our speed of service.
Some things, however, have remained the same:
Our reputation for professionalism and integrity mean that we attract the best talent
We are empathic to our clients and our candidates needs and will find a solution that works for both
We work as a team on each role so there is no internal competition for candidates
We are not incentivised by targets and our reputation is always more important than a fee
Founded by a chartered accountant, we follow a strict ethical code of conduct.
Founder Kate Clarke is well versed with finance, accounting and tax functions. She originally trained as a chartered accountant with Arthur Andersen, firstly in audit and then as a corporate tax specialist. She then enjoyed a number of finance and tax roles in industry before putting her career on hold to bring up a young family.
In 2012 her corporate career was reignited, but in a new form – as Head of The Mitie Foundation; a corporate charity which focuses on, amongst other things, helping the unemployed into work. It was this experience that sparked the idea to set up Artemis Clarke as, not only had it given her the confidence to build something from scratch, it had made her realise how much she enjoyed matching candidates with job opportunities. It also fulfilled a lifelong ambition to run her own business.
The added bonus; that she understands what candidates are looking for in their careers, as well as understanding the needs of her clients, has resulted in the enviable reputation that Artemis Clarke is enjoying for bespoke financial recruitment and financial resourcing consultancy.
Nic is also a qualified accountant (AAT and ACCA) who has worked in a variety of finance roles from payroll up to the level of Finance Business Partner working across various divisions within a FTSE 250 PLC.
Emma has worked in the digital marketing industry for the last 7 years, after graduating with a 2:1 and First Class Dissertation from UWE in Bristol.
Associate network of part time Finance Directors
Our part time FDs work with us for the long term
Our network of fully vetted, experienced Finance Directors are usually placed in client businesses for a few days a month, delivering all the benefits of a full time FD at a fraction of the cost.
We may place a part time FD to oversee a specific project, to put in place some systems and controls, or to build or mentor an effective finance team for the client business. They may stay with a client for many months or even years, delivering high level strategic oversight to help the business scale and meet its growth objectives.
Whatever the situation, we keep in touch with all of our Finance Directors individually, not just with the clients they are placed with.
Many of our FDs go on to become our clients. Having experienced our Executive Search and 5-Stage Vetting Process first-hand themselves, they know we are perfectly placed to find and assess the right candidates to help them build a highly successful finance team for their placement businesses.
Here’s why they keep working with us, ensuring our clients have access to their decades of experience:
- We treat each one of our part time FD Associates as valued members of our team – we keep in touch before, during and after all placements, and ensure they’re always fully supported.
- Before placing a part time FD, we carry out our Finance Team Diagnostics Session and draw on our own experience as qualified accountants to find out exactly what the role requires in terms of skills, experience and values. This means we can place every part time FD into a role that provides a great fit for their individual skills, interests and experience – so they can deliver their very best work for their placement business.
- We build a supportive network for our FDs, enabling them to share knowledge, ask questions and offer advice to their peers. This helps them to stay abreast of new developments and have access to fresh perspectives to help solve any particularly gritty challenges their clients’ businesses face.
- As accountants at heart ourselves, we follow a strict code of conduct. We believe in always treating clients and candidates with Integrity, transparency, professionalism & empathy.
If you’d like to find out more about hiring a part time FD, or becoming one of our Associate FDs yourself.
Join Team Artemis
Could we be what you’re looking for?
We’re on a mission to become the most respected financial recruiter throughout the UK and beyond and we know that to achieve this, we can’t do it on our own. We have already doubled in size over the past two years and our ambitious growth plans mean that we will be on the recruitment journey ourselves again in the near future. If you share our values and you can answer yes to the following questions, then please get in touch as we’d love to hear from you:
Are you a qualified accountant?
Do you dream of working flexibly?
Do you pride yourself on your work ethic?
Do you love giving great customer service?
Do you have great attention to detail?
We are passionate about our values. Here are some examples of how we demonstrate these values:
- Respond to all candidate calls and applications in a timely manner
- Prioritise the right solution for our clients even if that means a lower fee for us
- Be considerate to people’s existing work commitments and arrange meetings around them
- Know what’s important to each candidate and client so that we can ensure a perfect fit
- Team work
- Work together as a team to find the right solution for every role
- Update systems in a timely manner so all team members know the status for each candidate and role
- We do what we say we will do within agreed timeframes and methods
- We offer a generous 12 week guarantee
- We never poach candidates from existing clients
- We never use information obtained by candidates re other roles they have applied for to win new work (unless they have been unsuccessful and give their permission)
Corporate Social Responsibility
At Artemis Clarke, we place high importance on corporate social responsibility (“CSR”) and we are always looking at how we can improve our impact on both the environment and society. Our commitment to CSR is demonstrated by the following initiatives:
- Since 2016 we have operated a paperless office
- In 2020 we took the business completely online, thus reducing our carbon footprint to minimal levels (we were already pretty good before then as our MD drives an electric car)
- We invest in refurbished computers where possible
- We provide charitable support via donations of all referral income received. In the last 6 years this has amounted to more than £3,000 donated to the following charities chosen by our staff: