Many larger businesses, and some more complex smaller businesses, employ internal specialists to ensure that they are applying HMRC tax rules and legislation in the correct and most beneficial way for the business.
There are typically two sides to this role – looking after the day to day tax affairs of the business and advising the business on the tax implications and opportunities of projects as they arise.
- Ensure corporation tax and tax accounting compliance, and deliver accurate tax forecasting.
- Draft all corporation tax computations and returns and ensure complex areas are treated correctly.
- Prepare quarterly tax payment calculations.
- Identify and deliver compliance on all tax calculation and disclosure requirements for all financial statements.
- Identify Corporation Tax (and sometimes indirect tax) planning opportunities.
- Deal with HMRC enquiries into all aspects of direct taxation and liaise with statutory auditors.
- Calculate and maintain R&D tax credits.
- Lead taxation due diligence on potential acquisitions, deliver corporate reorganisations eg statutory demergers, share buy-backs and capital reductions or incorporation of partnerships, including the preparation and submission of advance tax clearance applications to HMRC.
- Advise on the application of international tax principles such as transfer pricing, the worldwide debt cap, the mechanics of double tax relief and the operation of tax treaties.
PROFILE OF A SUCCESSUL CANDIDATE
- ACA/ ATT and/or CTA qualified.
- Typically a background in Corporate Tax gained within an accountancy practice.
- Strong communicator, capable of explaining technical issues to non-tax specialists in a simple, clear manner.